Prev: Re: [GZG] GenCon? (was Re: Historicon '08) Next: Re: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining

Re: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining, - Geo knowledge

From: emu2020@c...
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:48:42 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining, - Geo knowledge

an excuse, but more just a reality, that most Americans are touched less
in their day to day lives by other countries than some other nations.
Sure we trade wit hthem and we are connected on a political and economic
basis, but when it comes to just the day to day. If I go 500 miles from
home, I'm still in America. In some parts of the world that is either
outside the country or into another country or more.

I still think Americans should pay more attention.

-Eli
From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t-online.de>

> John Atkinson schrieb:
> > One wonders if those survey where it is clearly demonstrated that
your average
> American can't find
> > Afghanistan on an unlabeled world map have ever been conducted
> > elsewhere, and what the results were.
>
> National Geographic regularly does surveys about geographic knowledge
in
> different countries, see for example:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1126_021120_TVGeoRoperSu
rvey.htm

> "The National Geographic–Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey
> polled more than 3,000 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany,

> Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden and the United States.
>
> Sweden scored highest; Mexico, lowest. The U.S. was next to last."
>
> But also:
>
> "Young adults worldwide are not markedly more literate about geography

> than the Americans.
>
> On average, fewer than 25 percent of young people worldwide could
locate
> Israel on the map. Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like
> Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq. "
>

> A study from 2006 shows some improvement about places that are in the

http://press.nationalgeographic.com/pressroom/index.jsp?pageID=pressRele
ases_det