Prev: Re: [GZG] GenCon? (was Re: Historicon '08) Next: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining, was Re: [OFFICIAL] GZG: FREEBIE OFFER FOR BFPO/APO TROOPS!

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG: FREEBIE OFFER FOR BFPO/APO and other deployed TROOPS!

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:16:24 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG: FREEBIE OFFER FOR BFPO/APO and other deployed TROOPS!

You'd be surprised what's table acceptable in a war zone.

A couple of guys from the team I'm on just purchased a slew of GW
books and are planning on printing up some markers and playing with
pieces of paper.  Having the time and space to paint is quite a
luxury.  I could, at least on some days, but I'm living better than a
lot of people.	I'm actually living better than most field grade
officers are.

John

On 7/25/08, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> Jon (GZG) wrote on 07/25/2008 02:31:34 AM:
>
> Mike wrote:
>
>> >Awesome!

>> >Um, Jon?  Paint, brushes, stands, etc?
>> >
>> >Can the rest of us get in on this?	I'd paypal you $10 in a
heartbeat
>> >toward the cost of the extras.
>> >
>> >Mike
>>

>> Hey Mike,
>>
>> Thanks for the offer! While it's hugely appreciated, I don't have too
>> much time to deal with all this as I also have to keep the business
>> running (!), so I don't want it to snowball TOO much; however, I've
>> already had a couple of requests like this and if a few folks want to
>> chip in a bit I can always use that to add a few extra items into
>> some or all of the packages. The great thing about getting a couple
>> of the FT intro fleets is that you don't really need to paint them,
>> and all the stands are included anyway, so it's almost a
>> ready-to-play game; I've managed to get my major dice supplier to
>> chip in some free D6, so I can put a handful in each box too.
>
> To Jon:
>
> Continuing to prove another point: No good deed goes unpunished. ;->=
>
> To the list:
>
> Unlike groppo figures, unpainted ships are almost table-acceptable.
> Still...
>
> After making the point about how the painting could be very
beneficial, I
> got to thinking that, in the situation, what may be really needed is
not
> just painting kit, but A PAINTING KIT, similar to what the watercolor
crowd
> has.
>
> Small box with clip lid holding lidded brush rinse pail and wipe
cloth(?),
> palette, simple set of colors in small dropper bottles, and a small
variety
> of short, usable brushes would seem to be the ticket.
>
> Does any company make this? Has anybody made this for yourself? Any
> suggestions on how to do it ourselves? I definitely wasn't expecting
Jon to
> pull the full load, though he seems to have gone a bit in that
direction...

>> If anyone wants to make a contribution to the project, they can do so
>> via Paypal to me at <jon@gzg.com> - or if you're not concerned about
>> making your contribution gamer-specific, of course there are a lot of
>> support-the-troops charity websites around who'd be very happy to
>> take your donations.
>
> More to the point, MINIATURE gamer-specific...
>
> As I said, I tried myself in the past, and if at first you don't
> succeed...>
>
> Jon, I'll see if I can't get a contribution sent sufficient to add a
pack
> to send out, rather than adding to the packs you're already planning.
> suspect there may be a fairly large response to this, so my adding a
pack
> probably would not be amiss. Maybe adding just a bit to your work
> load... ;->=
>
> The_Beast (who just can't seem to stop using and abusing ellipses...)

--Vita Aureliani