Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] The myth of inevitable victory. (Was: [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) ) Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] The myth of inevitable victory. (Was: [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) )

Re: [GZG] Wayne Hughes Fleet Tactics was Books (Weber/White/Meier)

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:30:23 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Wayne Hughes Fleet Tactics was Books (Weber/White/Meier)

Ken Hall wrote:
>Wayne Hughes argues in Fleet Tactics (and the updated Fleet Tactics
>and Coastal Combat-I have the original, but not the updated
>edition) that "attack effectively first" is the sine qua non of
>modern naval combat. Once the numbers favor a given side, that side
>will inevitably prevail assuming it presses its advantage.

Yeah, it's a very interesting read both for modern missile
combat and WW2 carrier combat. But he mostly writes about
the tactical level of individual battles rather than the
strategic picture.

His views on what "littoral" warfare (which used to be
known as coastal warfare - did somebody need to come up
with a new buzzword for funding?) seem to me on the side
of the minor powers. He specifically mentions Scandanavian
type navies as a real menace to US type navies in their
own territory, despite the size/economic disadvantage.

	cheers,
	Hugh