Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: Adrian1 <al.ll@t...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:43:44 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

How effective were the Viet Congs booby traps - specifically those that
used a captured 50 cal bullet buried in the ground while sitting on a
nail.  I can only imagine that you could carpet an area in these very
quickly.

Would one of these cause sufficient damage to a vehicle to stop it.

Presumably, its possible to do the same with large rounds like the 25mm
HE rounds.

Eli Arndt wrote:
> This question is an odd one. Isn't an IED, by its very nature,
improvised.
> If you are designing a device to do the job of an IED, it's not an
IED, it's
> pretty much a mine or some other form of ED.
>
> IEDs can be effective, but they are the sort of thing used by
militaries
> that either don't have access to or a ready supply of more
conventional
> devices that do the same job. If you are a professional army with
mines, you
> are unlikely to need or use IEDs.
>
> -Eli

16/07/2008 06:43

Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS