Prev: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:55:15 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Adrian1 wrote:

> >Eli: *Light* hovercraft are less likely to trigger pressure mines
than
> >other types of ground vehicles are, but they are just as vulnerable
> >mines with tilt-rod, magnetic etc fuses. However, if you put armour
on a
> >hovercraft its ground pressure rises quite rapidly, so by the time
you've
> >put MBT-level armour on it it'll be about as likely to trigger a
pressure
> >mine as a light APC is. (And it won't be able to move over water or
other
> >soft surfaces either - a heavy hovercraft will sink...)
>
>Where doe the Russian Zubr come in?

As a lightly-armoured ship. A Zubr is 56 meters long, 22 meters wide,
about
as tall, masses 535 tons when fully loaded, has a crew of 27 men (not
counting any of the transported troops, of course)... and is only
armoured
against shell fragments and light projectiles (read: heavy machineguns
and
smaller).

>What would a DS2 Zubr look like?

It would be a multi-module vehicle big enough to dwarf even a MkVI
OGRE...
but its strongest armour would be level/1. (In SG2 it would have level/2

armour, but if you build it in scale with your other SG2 vehicles it
would
cover your entire gaming table :-/ )

>While it acts in many ways like a hovercraft, is it ship?

It is a hovercraft. A very, *very* big hover craft with paper-thin
armour.

>Could I PLEASE have one as a land GEV O:-)

No, you can't. You could have a Caspian Sea Monster as a GEV though,
since
unlike the Zubr the Caspian Sea Monster actually *is* a GEV :-/

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.