Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:29:24 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

TomB wrote:

>John Atkinson made me think (not a new thing) about how one should
>represent things like the Buffalo, Nyala, Gelandenwagen and various
other
>sorts of uparmoured, IED and small arms resistant vehicles in SG2 and
DS2.

Vehicles with high Signature ratings, probably Armour/2 or thereabouts
on
front, sides and rear, and Armour/4+ on the bottom. (No, that's not
legal
in vanilla SG2/DS2. It is perfectly legal in DS3 :-) )

Oh, and the models have to be ugly as hell, too :-P

>I'm guessing an IED (typical) might be D12 impact vs. armour.

That's one of the smaller road-side IEDs. Buried mines would generally
be
more powerful (not least because they're closer to the target when they
go
off).

>Hits are probably automatic for command detonated ones (wire
connection).

Nope. There are plenty of examples where command-detonated mines were
triggered a fraction of a second too early (or too late) and thus failed
damage the target.

>Bigger ones could be used. I'll assume the one used in the Palestinian
>area to pulverize a Merkava was a lot larger (even through the weaker
>bottom armour).

IIRC those were estimated to have been somewhere around ~100 kg of
explosives.

>If the IED does not penetrate, it should have a higher than standard
>chance to score non-penetrating suspension hits (aka M-kills).

Only if they're buried under the road. Road-side ones would use the same

damage table as normal weapons.

>  I'm not sure what a fair % might be - John, Oerjan, anyone?

The easiest would be to replace all Systems Down results with Damaged if

the vehicle has 4 or fewer wheels, and ignore Systems Down entirely if
it
has 6+ wheels. Many mine-resistant vehicles are surprisingly good at
moving
even after losing a wheel or two.

>I'm also not sure how often you'd get Firer Systems Down or other
>firecontrol effects from an IED.

Quite often if it is triggered by mobile phones or similar and the
would-be
victims have the proper ECM gear, or it is triggered by wires the
would-be
victims can detect... :-/

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS