Prev: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:54:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

At 2:08 PM +1000 7/14/08, Tony Wilkinson wrote:
>Gday all,
>
>Assault guns came about because;
>
>1) Cost - far cheaper than a tank.
>2) Manufacture - quicker and easier to build
>that a turret and no fiddly turret rings to have
>to mill.
>3) Gun Size - you can mount a far bigger gun on the same chassis (see
below)
>4) Reuse of old hulls - an old tank that is
>obsolete can make an effective Assault gun. Take
>the German Panzer II from WWII. Obsolete by 1940
>being only able to mounted a 20mm gun, by 1944
>it is being remade into the Hertzer assault gun
>mounting a pretty good 75mm. A similar story
>with the Panzer III and IV.

Actually the Panzer II's were remade into the
Luchs, the Marder II, Wespe and a number of other
SPs for howitzers. The Hetzer was a remake of the
Czech  38t chassis.

>They are also smaller than a tank have better
>frontal armour for the same weight (leaving out
>the Jagtiger).

Only 60mm at a deep slope. Their main benefit was
their size. They are bloody cramped for their 4
man crew(I got to ride on and crawl around in the
VMMV hetzer). Worse when fully stowed. The
commander has his own hatch and the loader sits
off to the left of the gun with a hatch he shares
with the driver and gunner. Given the ammo
stowage arrangements, if it takes a hit and
starts to burn, the chances for the gunner and
driver getting out are slim. The Commander has as
I said, his own hatch and he sits in this nice
little cubby directly behind the main gun and
it's recoil shield with the engine just on his
left.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)