Prev: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different... Next: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:52:58 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM,  <emu2020@comcast.net> wrote:
> So far I have the following -
>
> 3 hover scout cars
> 3 light hover tanks
> 3 combat walkers
> 2-3 platoons of mid-tech infantry (AR, RPG, SAW)
>
> I have more possible additions but these are what I have ready to play
of my
> own sci-fi forces. I've mostly been playing with others minis up until
now.

For 15mm I decided my goal was a mechanized company for each side. I
figured on three squads per platoon, plus a command section, and 3
platoons per company, with additional support elements. In reality,
when playing SG2, I don't need more than two platoons on the table.

With that in mind, I needed something around 15 vehicles per faction.
I decided the entire company would have the same types of vehicles,
with the possibility of recon units having higher mobility. At the
time I started, Jon wasn't making 15mm vehicles so I bought a bunch of
HO scale Roco Minitanks. My APC of choice was the German Marder,
because its shape was futuristic and few in North America recognize
it. I bought enough for two companies over the course of a year or so,
with two different models (one with a gun mounted on top, another a
driver's training variant with a shallow dome on top). I painted
enough vehicles for two or three platoons (not sure how many; would
have to look).

I started kit bashing several of the vehicles into grav variants, but
that work was slow and fiddly. Then Jon started supplying 15mm
vehicles, so I gave up on that. I purchased several of his tracked
vehicles; once painted, I could field two companies on opposing sides,
with different styles of tracked APCs/IFVs.

I plan to buy a company's worth of grav vehicles, but so far the weak
U.S. dollar and a lack of time have prevented me. I'm also hoping at
some point Jon will do 15mm Phalon vehicles, at which point I'll jump
at the chance to buy those!

So, that's my strategy: pick a force size, sketch out the TO&E, and
then start collecting. For SG2 you'll need between one and two
platoons worth of vehicles to get started.

Allan

--
Allan Goodall http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com