Prev: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 21:44:32 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

One thing about the DS3 system...

Off-board artillery is defined as being in a zone.  Something like:

[  -5 ] [  -4 ] [  -3 ] [  -2 ] [   -1 ] [ TABLE ] [  1 ] [   2 ] ...

It takes a full Tactical Combat Round (the fighting part of a DS3 turn)
to cross from one zone to another.  Thus, if your Off-Table artillery is
in zone -4  the target will get a few combat moves before the rounds
land.  Then again, the rounds could have trajectory correction, etc., to
keep 'em on target.

Just so that you are aware that there could be some issues with "want
something dead right bloddy now."  :)

> Still, I prefer, in a good sized Dirtside game to have,
>
> 1 set of infantry based mortars on tracks (roll up, dismount, fire
> missions) they're relatively cheap and can get GOOD missions off. 1
set of
> on table gun/howitzer based artillery back in my rear with an
airdefense
> vehicle attached AND a Counter battery vehicle attached if possible. 1
set
> of off table artillery for really big stonks when I want something
dead
> right bloody now.

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University