Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: "Don M" <dmaddox1@h...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:07:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

I hear a lot of earth-like parallels here.  What if none of them
applied?  GPS?	What GPS?  You arrived in hostile territory, and
you haven't had time to set up GPS satellites nor calibrate
them to get them accurate to within 100'.  Plus, the enemy
keeps shooting at them.  What if you can't see from orbit?
Ion storms, magnetic radiation, dense gas clouds, and enemy
spoofing could make picking out targets on the ground
difficult.  It could also make picking out friend from foe
difficult.  Someone mentioned a compass.  What good is that
if the planet has no magnetic poles, or magnetic poles that
keep shifting?	Heck, the planet itself might not even be
all that sperical.

Hell why fight for such a problem rock....) Chances are
humans would want to settle human friendly planets....
Unless there was something of value to be found there,
then all bets are off. As for the GPS or equivalent, the
ships in orbit should be able to cover that. Now this means
they have to have in system superiority...That can even be a
special rule added to this scenario.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!