Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:24:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

>>I leave it to other people to discuss the question of whether there
are alternate techniques available to a force of Hypothetical PSB-Tech
which can pinpoint one's location without sats.  If you know where the
artillery piece is and where the observer is to a high degree of
precision, then with a modern laser rangefinder you can find distance
and direction from the observer.  Calculating the target's location is
a matter of a heartbeat for a computer, and then dropping precision
fire on his head doesn't take long once you have this information.<<

The PSB in my own mind is the omnipresence of AI's or Near-AI's that
with
even quick overflights by disposable drones, along with the old standbys
of
Mark I Eyeball reporting, can quickly accrete information and predict
movement and behavior of enemy targets. The AI's can predict with a very
fair amount of accuracy what will be where and when based on existing
and
historical data in combination with their understanding of the doctrine
and
goals of the opponent. This actually ends up being the reason why humans
stay in control of the tactical command structure - because they are
inherently unpredictable enough compared to computers that it actually
allows surprise.

I also tend to suspect that arty is led by a few "stealth shells" that
actually give target telemetry before the actual ordinance arrives and
does
so with enough timing that the shells actually in the air can correct
their
point of impact if need be.

D. Rodemaker