Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:19:54 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

One presumes that the projectiles have either submunitions or terminal
guidance.   So getting the round on a trajectory that would impact
within a couple hundred meters should be good enough for government
work.

But as for sats, that's not as much the requirement in and of itself
as it is the means by which modern artillery and artillery observers
(and military forces in general) precisely locate themselves.  I leave
it to the imagination what means you would use otherwise.  But knowing
where you are and where your enemy is are pretty fundamental
requirements of battle in general--and the more precisely you can
answer those questions, the great advantage you have over an opponent
that cannot.

John

<johnmatkinson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> True to a certain extent.  And if we were discussing a WWII game, it
>> would be relevant.
>>
>> But modern artillery needs only moments to prepare to fire.	The long
>> setup times to conduct indirect fire in WWII were required to
>> accurately survey the gun positions, something done by GPS
positioning
>> nowdays.  And precision fires means something different than it did
in
>> WWII, especially with smart projectiles and submunitions.  A
"movement
>> to contact" or a "meeting engagement" will involve artillery, not
>> merely a set piece battle.  And believe me, the mobile defenses
>> envisioned by NATO doctrines of the 1970s and 1980s certainly
included
>> a heavy dose of artillery as a major method of killing Soviets.
>

> One thing that's niggled at me about artillery (and something I need
to take
> up with Oerjan for DS3) is the presumption of ultra-accurate artillery
and
> the PSB of a GPS system. Maybe I'm not using my imagination enough to
expand
> on the SF possibilities, but what if...
>
> 1) you don't own the satellites, or don't have the frequency, or
> 2) there ARE NO satellites (either never put in place - back water
colony
> world - or were knocked out by the invaders (who may have put their
own up
> but your HK sats killed them))
>
> How would you PSB ultra-accurate artillery then? And doing gun survey
> positions, etc?
>
> Mk

--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery