Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:35:14 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

has changed substantially from an RPG/skirmish battle that requires a GM
to manage the scenario and supervise things into a wargame where 2
people can have a pick up game at a club and have a good chance of
playing the same rules and using the compatible ranges of figures.
The game has gone through 3 eidtions since Rogue Trader back in the 80s
and is jsut about to go into edition 5.
I agree that the vehicle designs for some of the models are very odd and
were inspired more by WW1 designs than modern MBTs.
I mentioned the bit about assaulting tanks because you stated that you
didn't like that aspect of the rules.
It's actually pretty hard for infantry (say imperial guard) not in power
armour to make an assault on a tank. The tank can simply keep moving and
shred the infantry squad with its secondary weapons.
The Land Laider kit from the Rogue Trader days was a very odd model.. GW
released an updated kit about the turn of the century with many more
high tech influences. The land raider isn't an MBT it's an assault
transport designed to deliverĀ a cargo of marines to do the real
fighting. The weapons mounts are all man portable weapons to support the
role of suppressing the defenders. That's why it has lightweight guns.
If you don't like the land raider then you won't like the look of many
of the other vehicles then. I don't like the look of the Imperial Guard
vehicles. They look completely impracticable.
I suspect that many of the vehicle kits were produced at a smaller scale
than the figures to reduce their footprint n the table. The new Land
Raider kit is much larger than the original model and actually looks
like it could carry the appropriate number of models.
I don't think 40k is the only game with constricted weapon ranges to
enable it to fit on the table. Most wargames that I have seen that use
28mm scale figures use contstricted ground scale to enable the games to
fit on the table. Otherwise just about every weapon system would have
range = LOS if you used the ground scale = the model scale.
I don't expect what I say will make you change your mind about the game,
just to point out that it has evolved considerably since you last played
it, so some of your concerns are not longer valid.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!