Prev: Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal Next: Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal

Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 05:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal

somewhat related discussion appears to have arisen around intelligence
and consciousness/sentience--the "what is consciousnees _for_?"
question. Some (and this is not my field of inquiry, so I'm not taking
sides except to say that I think it's for something) argue that
self-awareness actually gets in the way. For fictional treatments, see
Philip Watts's novel _Blindsight_ (has an extensive bibliography of
academic references) and Charles Stross's novella _Missile Gap_.

  Best,
  Ken
  United Systems
  Up the Individual! ;-)

Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@ACD.net> wrote:
  Another issues comes up in how we recognize and rate as intelligence.
There have been long arguements about the prejudicial approach even in
rating human intelligence let alone assigning ratings to animal
intelligences. Heck the dog vs. cat arguement usually hinges on this
concept.

-Eli

Prev: Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal Next: Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal