Prev: Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep Next: Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]

Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:35:46 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep

n tailby wrote:

>> B5 didn't define the difference between military and civilian travel
very well. It took the White Star 48 hours to jump from B5 to Earth, but
I don't remember if we were told directly how long a civilian cargo
transport would take.

> Jump speed was directly proportional to plot needs.
>
> It only took the White Star ~24 hours to make it to Z'Ha'Dum yet it
took the Icarus months
That could be explained away -- superior speed and sensors; a "guide"
who knew where to go and wanted to go directly rather than a civilian
explorer ship that approached slowly, possibly having to grope its way
through unknown space, taking measurments  and recordings as they went;
possible use of beacons that weren't active when the /Icarus/ came
through because the Shadows were still waking up -- but it's all after
the fact rationalisation, and the fact is that B5 had the usual TV show
problem of not thinking much about details like travel time (or, in its
early episodes, the /mechanics/).

John has it right: B5 spacecraft move at the "speed of plot".

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep Next: Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]