Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 21:55:53 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Someone (sorry, my computer can't display cyrillic letters) wrote:

>My idea is like that. In the late 17th century Sweden was a very
>industrial developed country.

Um... no. It wasn't, unless you're talking a *very* alternative history
the one that actually happened. We were reasonably good at casting
cannon
(though we still bought or stole quite a lot of them) and we had
imported
several hundred foreign mining experts, but that's about it. We didn't
really get industrialized until the late *19th* century.

>And it was a European great power, so it had to spend much resourses
for
>the navy. But it
>had only one million population, so, we can use Sweden as a model for
an
>industrial  developed but low populated colony. Well, Swedish navy of
that
>time consisted of 29-30 fighting ships.

Not a good analogy at all IMO, because Sweden was primarily a *land*
power
during the 17th century. The navy was basically only a transport and
courier service for the army, and came a distant third after the army
and
the army - yes, I'm counting the army twice. So did the various kings of

Sweden at the time.

It is no coincidence that Sweden only decisively defeated Denmark when
the
Belts (the straits between Sealand and the European  mainland) froze so
the
Swedish army could get to Copenhagen (on Sealand) without interference
from
the Danish navy. Our own navy could (mostly) keep the Danish fleet off
the
army's lines of communication, but it was far too weak to actually land
an
army on Sealand.

>Among them there were: 2 battleships, 7-8 frigates (at that time
>frigate-class was an analog of cruiser-class in Tuffley verse), 20
others.

IMO it would be far more useful to look at the Swedish navies towards
the
end of the *18th* century, when we had *lost* our "great power" status
(along with most of our overseas possesions, and thus the tariffs from
the
Baltic trade). Our population was a little bigger due to population
growth
in the homeland, but not much (still under 2 million), and we had *far*
less money available - but the combined navies (high seas and
archipelago)
was rather more numerous than in the previous century!

For example, at the battle of Vyborg in 1790 (where most but not all of
the
Swedish warships were gathered), there were 20 ships of the line (or
"battleships") and 12 frigates of the high seas navy, and *242* lighter
units of the archipelago navy (gunboats and similar, suited for
short-range
coastal work - roughly corresponding to FT strikeboats and system
defence
units up to destroyer size).

Why was it that our navy was so puny when we were a "great power", but
grew
so numerous after we lost that status? Simple: while Sweden was at its
peak, the only
*enemy* navy we had to worry about was the Danish one - and that one
very
rarely operated in the northern Baltic, since that was uncomfortably far

from its bases. Poland and Russia didn't have any Baltic coasts (because
we
had taken them), and thus couldn't deploy any navies to threaten us.
They
were land powers, and thus we needed armies to keep them at bay - not
navies.

Once Poland and particularly Russia regained their Baltic coastlines
(and
stripped us of our "great power" status in the process), the number of
enemy navies we had to deal with proliferated, and the Russian navy in
particular was sitting right at our doorstep... which meant that Sweden
had
to build up a much bigger navy for *defence* than it ever needed for
*aggression*.

The strategic situation for the various Full Thrust powers is much
closer
to that of 18th-C Sweden, with several enemy navies to deal with and
lots
of coastline to protect, than of 17th-C Sweden (or Imperial Rome, for
that
matter) that controlled most or all of the coasts from which enemy
navies
could be launched.

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]