Prev: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL] Next: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 08:48:23 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]

>I can also see the standard compliment of shuttles on board a ship to
be
>externally docked not taking up any really internal space.
>There is just a airlock hatch, and you are in the shuttle.
>The shuttle is attached by clamps to the ship, and allows for easy
undocking
>but docking requires some maneuverability, and may not be possible
under
>combat conditions.
>
>These shuttle ports could also be where umbilicials, and ship docking
>couplers could also attach.
>Something like a personal transfer pod, or utility shuttle reqally
doesn't
>need a docking bay, just a space on the hull and an airlock.
>
>With fittings like this, they could also easily act as escape
pods/craft as
>well since no bay is required.
>
>In streamlined designs the shuttles could be in recessed bays on the
outside
>of the hull, only enough space to hold the shuttle and some umbilical
>connectors. Bays like these are not meant to be servicable and docking
would
>be harder. - Another possibility is custom designed shuttlecraft that
match
>the streamlining and can sit esternally or partially recessed, their
form
>merging with the outer streamlined hull of the ship itself.

..... A perfect example of this being the two shuttles on a Firefly
class transport - half-recessed into the hull sides above the wing
roots, deployed in space or when grounded by sliding outwards and
then lifting vertically away.  :-)

On more streamlined ships the exposed part of the shuttle could be
protected by a thin aerodynamic cover that would slide open under
normal launch procedures, but have an explosive quick-jettison option
for emergency "lifeboat" use.

Especially on smaller ships, this makes a lot more sense than having
a complete internal hangar and launch bay for the shuttles, but as
with everything in the game it depends on the background feel that
you like!

Jon (GZG)