Prev: Re: [GZG] LITE, LIGHT and other painful matters Next: [GZG] Comments on FT Light

Re: [GZG] PDFs - Printing Them

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:48:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] PDFs - Printing Them

I buy a lot of rules in PDF format and they can be a real pain. A very
few are native A4 sized or come with an A4 version which is lovely but
most do not. Even the standard short and fat American pages usually
print pretty well but you always have to watch for problems with page
numbering. Some companies are good and helpful in the way they have
things set up and others are not (I fear I have to put Mongoose
Publishing in this category) when if you are not careful you can print
things arse about face – basically you need a blank page after the
cover to make everything work properly. Some of the best come with the
colour covers in separate files which is very handy. The use of colour
is also a serious issue as it can often do more harm than good.
I am the guy in charge of the printers here in work which is very, very
handy and there are a couple of comb binders I can borrow. My latest
discovery is that the HP LaserJet 2300 can do duplex printing which is
fantastic – except that our network drivers do not support it.
Fortunately there is a spare on at the moment which relied on a Jet
Direct box to turn it into a network printer and that box got wrecked so
it is sitting beside my laptop at the moment.
 It is odd that our oldest colour laser printer is the most capable.
The newer 4600s are temperamental beasts that feed the pages differently
to any other HP printer I have ever used which makes double sided
printing interesting, not impossible but something you have to watch
for. They also seem incapable of handling card properly. Really I do not
like them. The older 4550 is slower but feeds card very nicely (for
covers), frankly I think it would print on a cat if I could fit one in
the tray. I think it even survived those silly bastards in the art
department (AKA The Enemy) feeding coated inkjet paper through it though
I had to clear a lot of cack off the drum. Maybe I should not have
stopped them from removing old monitors from their casings to use for
some half baked project...
Oh dear, this seems to have turned into a rant about printers.

 "It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer has
done what has been done."
Cardinal Richelieu, in The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

Prev: Re: [GZG] LITE, LIGHT and other painful matters Next: [GZG] Comments on FT Light