Prev: Re: [GZG] Genghis Con: Age of Eagles and others Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: emu2020@c...
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:13:43 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_27521_1202760823_2

say that it comes down to deployment too.  If your robots are left on
their own, therei s likely going to be a guy in a bunker someplace
monitoring R2-Death4U.	This guy could have a switch he has to flip to
allow the robot to go "hot" and then use deadly force.	This would be a
way to avoid the rock situation.  the added bonus here is that the robot
can get rocks chucked at him all day and not get POed or worn down to
the point where he does somethign stupid.

-Eli

From: "Binhan Lin" <binhan.lin@gmail.com>

John,
I think your arguments basically boil down to experience.

Is this scenario is any different than a nervous MP or National Guard
guy being placed in a bad situation at a bad time - there are many
instances of improperly trained or equipped troops facing a large mob
and then firing live rounds after being sparked by a bottle or stone,
simply because the troops "felt" they were in danger.  Is a soldier's
intuition of danger any different than a computer's analytical
determination of the situation?  In both cases, it depends on the
"training" or "programming" to make the correct decision.  Part of mob
psychology is shaped by what the police forces do - if the mob sense
fear, it may embolden some to attack.  Throwing a rock and hitting a
person is more morally stimulating than throwing a rock and hitting a
slab of armored plate. (i.e. this is why armored cars are so imposing in
riot situations- people know that a rock isn't going to do squat.)

--Binhan

On 2/9/08, John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@gmail.com> wrote:
On Feb 9, 2008 12:06 AM, john tailby <John_Tailby@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> I could imagine the military backlash against autonomous weapons the
first
> time there is a blue on blue incident or the automated weapons get
hacked or
> electronically subverted in some way.

Or the first time some kid throwing rocks triggers the codes to
unleash automatic weaponry on a crowd of feisty civilians who aren't
actually hostile.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Genghis Con: Age of Eagles and others Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?