Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

[GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:34:03 +1100
Subject: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

I don't understand this comment. The random "mechanic" in SGII is an
*opposed* roll, so isn't the result the *difference* between the
rolls, not the rolls themselves? In this context, I don't see how the
performance of either set of troops involved in an opposed roll can
be called more predictable than the other. Is the theory simply that
more sides on the die automatically equals less predictability?

The chances of a d8 rolling a higher, equal or lower number than a d6
are what they are (56.25%, 12.5% and 31.25% respectively I think,
though I'm no mathematician), and I don't understand how there can be
any difference in the predictability of those odds depending on which
"side" of the roll you happen to be.

Best regards, Robert Bryett