Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:17:46 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

> 3) Hordes, gangs of civilians portrayed in a meaningful way. I don't
> think you could portray something like "Black Hawk Down" with SG2. If
> you have lots of troops that have not had basic training they use a
D4.
> I find they're not at all effective or fun to play.

Do people really want to play ultra horde armies?
They take ages to play, at least at the start of the game, because there
are
so many models to deploy and move.
Do you really want to have to remove casualties with a bucket and spade
every phase?

I can see the endless hordes of zombies (militia) as GM controlled
villains
in a participation game but not as a viable army except for the
perversely
inclined.

You need to ensure that infantry vehicles and artillery all have a
balance
and use. If any one of the 3 is too good people only take that thing.
Its
very easy to overestimate the effectiveness of artillery and make them
the
god of the battlefield. Then you have the sci-fi version of WW1.

When looking at modern games people still play a lot of cold war 1980s
style
games. No one I have seen tries to war-game desert storm because who
wants
an army of 3 Abrams against 100 T55s, that not a war-game its a shoot em
up
video game with models and dice.

Technology is likely an exponential curve, heck 50 years and you go from

Sherman tanks to Abrams. You can't wargame that much of a differential.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?