Prev: Re: [GZG] Ping? Next: Re: [GZG] Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] Ping?

From: "Richard Bell" <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 18:51:48 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] Ping?

On Nov 5, 2007 4:10 AM, Zoe Brain <aebrain@webone.com.au> wrote:
> Tim Jones wrote:
> > We need some new rules to discuss.

> Battery Fire:
> Specify which weapons are in the battery: roll a single D6, and they
all
> use that roll.
> Perhaps restrict it to weapons of the same class, with the same arc.
> Perhaps also mark on SSD which weapons are in the battery, so you make
> one roll to KO the lot on a threshold check, and one roll to repair
the
> lot during damage control.

This suggestion for a battery rule does little more than turn an
assemblage of beams into a graser (nothing to write home about, but
when it does roll a six, enemies evaporate).

Given the purpose of battery fire was to give a bigger footprint for
your guns, there is the concept of sacrificing the potential luck of
landing everything on the enemy's hull in exchange for nearly
guaranteeing landing something against the enemy's hull.

There are two aspects of weapon batteries.  The first aspect is
mounting weapons in battery.  Weapons mounted in batteries should have
a reduced cost for extended firing arcs, but be restricted to only
engaging one target with the whole mount. An extreme rule would be the
weapons in a battery must be the same class, but additional arcs are
purchased as for a single weapon, and the whole mount can only engage
one target.   This rule could make Dreadnoughts (large ships with
multi-arc batteries of large weapons) an actual possibilty [FT ships
are firmly ensconced in the equivalent of pre-Tsushima Straights naval
architectures].

The second aspect is battery fire control.  I suggest that a better
description of battery fire control is to group the dice into sixes
and apply the law of averages.	Six beam/graser dice inflict four hits
and a re-roll.	Six P-torp/K-gun dice inflict as many hits as a set of
1 to 6 do, at the appropriate range

Prev: Re: [GZG] Ping? Next: Re: [GZG] Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]