Prev: Re: [GZG] Campaign rules (was Re: [FT] New Campaign from John Tailby) Next: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] SELWG CANCELLATION, and the NO-SELWG SALE....

Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign)

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 04:29:09 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign)

-----Original Message-----

Okay, that's what I was thinking.  From your original description I was
getting this idea that the attack fighters themselves had gone and
directly destroyed the defensive fighters before attacking the ships.
Unless there just weren't very many defensive fighters at all, I just
wasn't picturing it.

>Torpedo fighters are more effective (and out own created MKP fighters)
are
>nasty against enemy capital ships but not so against multiple smaller
ships.
>Attack fighters are better against 3 frigates and effective enough
against a
>light cruiser over multiple turns.

Depends.  A single strike from a torpedo bomber group does 15 points of
damage. each, on average.  An attack fighter wing does only 7.	A battle
carrier line can do enough damage with its ship-to-ship weapons to take
down frigates that wiping out one frigate per torpedo bomber group
outright doesn't scare me too much.  The only other question is whether
the house rules would allow interceptors to rearm as standard fighters
aboard the carriers or perhaps allow re-configurable interceptors for an
extra cost; if they did, I'd cheerfully torch the fighter wing with them
and then rearm the fighters for attack missions against the fleet.  Even
if I couldn't, the plasma together with the torpedo bombers would be
enough combined firepower that I wouldn't mind the risk much.  The only
thing that comes out of a fighter bay that scares a carrier fleet with a
front line heavy interceptors is other heavy interceptors.  They're
enough better than both heavy fighters and regular interceptors that we
actually wound up banning them in my group just because they monopolized
the fighter superiority game too much.

>The mass 13 carriers carry 1 squadron each and about 75% of their cost
is
>their fighter squadron.
>
>We wanted to play games more than worry about repair / rearm logistics
so
>ships that suffer hull damage or need to replenish expendable munitions
can
>do so with a penalty to their strategic movement.

Yeah.  In a campaign game that forced them to replace those very
expensive fighters, though, that would start to balance out pretty
quickly.

>I had about 9 squadrons of normal fighters defending my ships ad was
>attacked by 29 squadrons of attack fighters. Assuming my defending
fighters
>got average kills, so 21 fighters and some from scatter packs on my
ships
>that left about 140 fighters to attack me. Against my unshielded ships
each
>attack fighter does about 1 point of damage per fighter so thats about
140
>points of damage to absorb at about 30% mass on hull and armour thats
about
>500 mass dead then and there.

>Next turn thats aboout 120 fighters and so on. It's pretty brutal
really.

Yeah... 9 squadrons of normal fighters is pretty much asking to not get
much out of them.  It's not enough to really do damage to anything other
than stragglers at that point scale, and it's not going to do much to
really slow down a concerted fighter attack in turn.  Scatterguns doing
only half as much point defense damage hurts, too... I'd probably have
to rethink a few of my own designs with that.

What's the rule you have on scatterguns against heavy fighters?  1d2 per
scattergun?  The old rules were d6 against standard fighters and d3
against heavies.

>We do treat fighter pilots as expendable munitions, Carriers regularly
dump
>and run. I fact quite a popular tactic is to drop out of hyper space,
launch
>fighters and then warm up the FTL and then jump. It's pretty effective
>against fortifications as is a similar attack by missile equipped
fleets.

Yeah.  That's pretty clearly a case where your players are abusing the
"free ordnance" rule, really.  If you were required to actually buy
those fighters back (as you would in most campaign rules), that kind of
practice would stop in a huge hurry out of a desire to save as many of
those fighters as you could for further battles.  Granted, fighters are
going to be gone through like popcorn, but if you just dump them and
forget about them, even if you win the battle that's still a very
expensive "win".

EF