Prev: Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Salute releases....!

Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

From: Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@p...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 00:30:22 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

John Lerchey wrote:
> heh. I actually remember when Martian Metals came out with the 15mm
sci fi tanks.  I was at a convention in Baltimore, helping a lawyer (of
all people) to run a game of Longsword, developed and produced by a
local Pgh gaming group.  I saw the tanks in the vendor area and drooled
on the spot.  I didn't have the money to buy any then.	And since I was
then playing Starguard in 25mm, I would have used the as light tanks or
something.  But still, I feel for your nostalgia.  I too have some stuff
that my friends think are simply horrible minis because I liked them
back in 1975 or so when I started gaming. :)

> If I had started in 15mm I likely wouldn't hate them.
>
> But over the years I have really grown to love what I can do with
large battles in 6mm. And there seems to be a resurgence on the market,
at least somewhat.  I'm not hurting for units, only for time to paint
and play.

> Now I'll return myself to the evil of painted my converted turtle
blood bowl team... ;)

> John
>

>> John Lerchey wrote:
>>
>>> It can be as flawed as you like.  I say that I hate 15mm.  It should
be
>>> ok for me to hate them. YOU can like or love them. It bothers me
not.
>>> My response to Mark was supposed to be very tongue in cheek.
>>>
>>> I'm happy to drop this now.

>>> John K. Lerchey Assistant Director for Incident Response Information
>>> Security Office Carnegie Mellon University

>> John,
>>
>> I'm glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended. I thought
your
>> response was excellent. It just goes to show how personal scale
decisions
>> are. It has alot to do with history and personal aesthetics.
>>
>> I started mini gaming in 15mm with Striker and the old Martian Metals

>> minis when I was in my teens. I didn't play with them for over 20
years.
>> Then a little over a year ago  Suddenly one night I got curious
whether
>> there were any 15mm vehicles out there (always a problem in the old
days).
>> Martian Metals made a few which have now been re-released by RAFM. I
>> discovered GZG that night and spent several hours on web searches. A
few
>> nights later I was wondering if there were any cons I could go to.
Imagine
>> my surprise to discover GZG ECC was two hours away in Lancaster, PA.
>>
>> I like painting 15mm, I love working my old minis into a scenario.
I've
>> spent a fair amount of money collecting figs and vehicles that I
>> desperately wanted as a kid . So I can't abandon 15mm. I also like
the
>> look of the figure scale to ground scale ratio. A look at the
pictures
>> from Stuart Murray's "Company Rules" game from GZG IX will tell you
why I
>> love 15mm.
>>
>> If I didn't have any 15mm I'd probably be more active in 6mm and
25mm. I
>> have a few of each scale I haven't done anything with. After the
latest
>> offering from GZG and the re-release of the vehicles from RAFM I'm
even
>> more solidly in the 15mm camp. As soon as Jon issues the 15mm Grav
Tank
>> and APC's in platoon packs I'll place an order.
>>
>> -Mark Kinsey

> John K. Lerchey
> Assistant Director for Incident Response
> Information Security Office
> Carnegie Mellon University

John,

I was at that Con. I still have the APC and Tank they unveiled then.
Retail would have been around $30 which was 10 hours of picking green
beans at the time for me. Totally worth it.

-Mark

Prev: Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Salute releases....!