Prev: Re: [GZG] IF Heavy Missles Next: [GZG] IF Heavy Missles

Re: [GZG]FirstlookatnewNSLships!:-) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@r...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:24:22 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG]FirstlookatnewNSLships!:-) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Richard Bell wrote:

>One of the things that bothered me about the ships in FB1is that they
make
>much more sense in vector than they do in cinematic.  Long range
weapons
>in a single arc, forward, force the vessel to close with the enemy--
>significantly reducing the value of the extra range.

Um... Richard? Exactly which FB1 ships are you talking about here?

The only FB*1* ships that even vaguely resemble your "long range weapons
in
a single arc, forward" description are some of the NAC ships, and with
one
single exception even they also have a bunch of 3- and 6-arc weapons
making
them quite capable of projecting firepower into their non-(F) arcs
during
the "dog-fight" part of a Cinematic battle that typically ensues after
the
initial more-or-less-head-on flyby.

The one exception to this, ie. the only FB1 ship which "makes more sense
in
vector than in cinematic", is the NAC Furious-class CE. That one is a
very
poor Cinematic design, but fairly good in Vector.

The FB*2* Kra'Vak ships are very much Cinematic designs, combining
(F)-arc-only weapons with the high manoeuvrability ratings required to
use
such weapons effectively against enemies with thrust ratings higher than
2.
They don't make much sense in Vector however, since they don't get much
return for the high price they pay for their Advanced engines (in FB
Vector, the difference between Standard and Advanced engines is
effectively
that the Advanced drives get 1 "free" thrust point that can only be used

for a rotation).

>The aspect of the Kra'Vak that bothers me is that the k-5 and k-6 are
>overkill.  They are only useful as elephant guns (hunting phalon
pachyderms).

And which species did the Kra'Vak fight (for quite a long time, judging
from the FB2 background texts) before they ran into humanity? (Hint: the

name starts with a "P" :-/)

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@rixmail.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] IF Heavy Missles Next: [GZG] IF Heavy Missles