Prev: Re: FT Fleet formations was Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems Next: Re: Recording AARs was [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

Re: FT Fleet formations was Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@r...>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 07:23:26 +0100
Subject: Re: FT Fleet formations was Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

Richard Bell wrote:

>>And if you had been a veteran FT player with scores or hundreds of
games
>>under your belt, then I would've been *extremely* surprised to hear
that
>>you had problems working out formation-change orders on the fly - with
that
>>much experience it would, as Roger Books wrote, be trivial.
>
>Drop the other shoe.  What is the most complicated piece of coordinated

>multiship maneuvering that you have done?

In Cinematic, splitting a concentrated fleet of 38 ships up into three
roughly equally-sized (though not equally-*massed*) task groups to
surround
the enemy fleet, accellerate each of them to speeds of 30+, and then
converge on the enemy fleet from three different directions such that
the
ships in the two groups that came in from behind the enemy were all
within
12mu of their respective targets at the same time while the third group
(the one that attacked frontally) stayed more than 12mu away (ie.,
avoided
the enemy's point-blank (F) arc). During the enveloping movement, each
task
group changed formation to be in a double line-abreast formation (ie.,
one
line echeloned behind the other) in the turn they attacked.

The difficult part of this was to predict where the enemy would go so my

task groups didn't converge on the wrong spot, and to get the third task

group - the one that was to attack frontally - up to the same speeds as
the
others in time for the attack in spite of having a much shorter distance
cover. The formation change part was trivial.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@rixmail.se

"Life is like a sewer.