Prev: Re: Re: FMA at EEC: was Re: [GZG] Re: GZG ECC X: Indy's AAR (parts1&2) Next: RE: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:09:53 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

----- Original Message -----
From: <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au>

> G'day,
>
>> That's only any use if people want to playtest phalons
>> and they have a viable figure / unit range.
>
> The manufacturer or the player?

It depends what sort of company you are. Do you make wierd shapes of
metal
you hope people with imaginations do somethign constructuve with or are
you
making a product that people can pick up and take home and play with
their
friends?

If you want sell a range of figures then in order to stimulate demand
you
create a game where the figures get used.

Not everyone has the time, imagination or inclination to design theri
own
game its' quite a bit of work.

>> People don't want to buy figures for playtest rules from
>> a company that can't support its own games.
>
> I'm not picking on you here just making an observation about different
> kinds of gamers. This kind of statement always intrigues me. You've
got
> the rules and an imagination what more do you need? SSDs etc and rules
> expansions would be nice but you've already got everything you need to
> support yourself. Personally I'm not phased that the new ships don't
> have preset stats, you may come up with a different take on the figure
> to someone else, reading through Janes for WWI etc very few if any of
> the classes had ships with the identical stats.
>
> Mind you I've never really understood the perpetual beef of "oh
they've
> put out new rules so now I have to go play them" I hear of many old
time
> GW gamers either, especially when it is a whole group saying it. If
they
> don't like the new rules don't play them there is nothing stopping you
> playing the old rules. Likewise if you can't wait for new rules to
give
> the nice little extension you're after here or there chase it up
> yourself, you obviously have some idea of what extras you'd like
added.

> Better still do that and post it here (which St^3 Jon read) and you
may
> well spark an idea and do exactly what you call for below.
>
>> Some new way of developing the games needs to be found rather than
>> relying on a small group of part timeers that struggle to fit
>> in games development into their lives.
>>
>> GZG might as well release it's rules as PDFs in the style of open
> source
>> software, its the other websites that make up new systems and ship
>> designs that are supporting the game rather than GZG
>
> I think everyone agrees with this, which is why pdfs are up of many of
> GZG's rulesets.

But only the orginals that have had no work done on them since before
the
run of the millenium. They havn't even rationalised the basic rules,
more
thrust and fllet books into a consistent volume so you now have to
download
all 4 PDFS and pick the bits out of the books that are still applicable.

> One big step would be to put up ideas here. The WDA was quite popular
> here for a while and various rules ideas for aliens or different forms
> of SG have been put up. It'd be great if the guys involved put up
their
> takes on SG/FT etc that turned into the various games at ECC - the LOR
> and Full Sail stuff sounds cool.

I've shared ideas from my group several times. Seems to be that any
ideas
that don't agree with the preconceptions of the test team aren't
welcome. Mt
group developed its own complete set of rules, with modular additional
weapon systems, campaign system the works. it got sent to Jon. Might as
well
have pushed it out the airlock into the black. Apparently it got
forwarded
to the test team and well see above....

Now people are developing sci-fi rules after playing and disliking DS
but
wanting a generic game.

Specific beefs about DS. Butt ugly counter draw system. Counters all
over
the unit and all over the table. Opposed dice rolls with variable dice
make
for really slow play. Good things are the alternate activation.