Prev: RE: FMA at EEC: was Re: [GZG] Re: GZG ECC X: Indy's AAR (parts 1 &2) Next: RE: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

RE: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:58:11 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

G'day,

> That's only any use if people want to playtest phalons
> and they have a viable figure / unit range.

The manufacturer or the player?

> People don't want to buy figures for playtest rules from
> a company that can't support its own games.

I'm not picking on you here just making an observation about different
kinds of gamers. This kind of statement always intrigues me. You've got
the rules and an imagination what more do you need? SSDs etc and rules
expansions would be nice but you've already got everything you need to
support yourself. Personally I'm not phased that the new ships don't
have preset stats, you may come up with a different take on the figure
to someone else, reading through Janes for WWI etc very few if any of
the classes had ships with the identical stats.

Mind you I've never really understood the perpetual beef of "oh they've
put out new rules so now I have to go play them" I hear of many old time
GW gamers either, especially when it is a whole group saying it. If they
don't like the new rules don't play them there is nothing stopping you
playing the old rules. Likewise if you can't wait for new rules to give
the nice little extension you're after here or there chase it up
yourself, you obviously have some idea of what extras you'd like added.

Better still do that and post it here (which St^3 Jon read) and you may
well spark an idea and do exactly what you call for below.

> Some new way of developing the games needs to be found rather than
> relying on a small group of part timeers that struggle to fit
> in games development into their lives.
>
> GZG might as well release it's rules as PDFs in the style of open
source
> software, its the other websites that make up new systems and ship
> designs that are supporting the game rather than GZG

I think everyone agrees with this, which is why pdfs are up of many of
GZG's rulesets.

One big step would be to put up ideas here. The WDA was quite popular
here for a while and various rules ideas for aliens or different forms
of SG have been put up. It'd be great if the guys involved put up their
takes on SG/FT etc that turned into the various games at ECC - the LOR
and Full Sail stuff sounds cool.

Cheers

Beth