Prev: Re: [GZG] 1980s SGII Vehicle Stats Next: Re: [GZG] Power Projection News

RE: [GZG] 1980s SGII Vehicle Stats

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:05:28 -0500
Subject: RE: [GZG] 1980s SGII Vehicle Stats

At 11:42 PM +0000 12/30/06, Richard Kirke wrote:

>Ferret

Given that I own one of these....
The armor is good enough to stop .50 ball from
the front but NOT AP. 16mm and a steep slope to
the front. The sides and rear are thinner 12mm or
so but will protect against ball from 7.62 NATO
(7.62x39 should find it tough). Sensors are
minimal (mostly mk 1 Eyeball). By then you're
looking at a GPMG and the Mk2 modls have enough
stowage for 10 cans of 7.62 belt. Plus more
stowage for Sterling SMG's for the crew. A tripod
can also be carried for dismounted use of the
GPMG, there's even a 'plug' on the left engine
deck to fit the socket on the tripod on.

I'd say armor 1 all around. High Mobility
wheeled. Size 1 (2 man crew and it's smaller than
the footprint on Most US SUVs save for Jeeps). 3
man crew for the Mk1  ferret. I've seen Mk1/2
ferrets with 2 GPMG's mounted and extra stowage
for extra kit, but the Mk1s and Mk1/2s have less
ammo stowage since they put jump seats in place
of the stowage bins for the

Oh, for artillery spotting (one of the uses of
the Ferret) there are provisions on the larkspur
radio kit for up to 600 feet D10 wire to be
attached to the intercom/radio harness allowing
an observer on top of a hill say to talk over a
telephone handset to the other crewmember via the
intercom or to the wireless set (A or B set)
allowing the terrain feature to mask the wireless
signal and vehicle but still allow use of the
vehicle radio "remotely" via the R box (this
allows a retransmit function a well so a ferret
can be used to act as a signal booster between
two sets to extend radio range. The spool of D10
is carried on the turret on a quick detach
bracket. It's a send/receive function only, there
HAS to be someone at the vehicle to tune the
wireless set. You'd model this by allowing 1-2
crew of a 2 vehicle patrol to move from the
parked vehicles up to the top of a hill and use
wireless comms from the vehicles. They could drop
the D10 spool and easily bug out with just belt
order web gear and two sterlings allowing for
fast movement. No need to hump a heavier set up
and you get some useful transmitter power out of
the VHF C42/B45 set (15-20 watts 10 miles on RT,
.5 watts in low power mode). The second set, (B
set) is lower power B47/B48 is for communicating
with manpack sets the infantry used or with other
vehicles in the troop.

For the time there's a smaller manpack set, the
WS A40 which is equivalent tot he Canadian
C/PRC-26

See
http://home.hccnet.nl/l.meulstee/larkspur/larkspur1.html#SEC5

The FV432 should be able to run 3 sets on the A/B/C channel setup they
had.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.
       But I do work there and still like the company.
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: [GZG] 1980s SGII Vehicle Stats Next: Re: [GZG] Power Projection News