Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Auxiliary craft for starships Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 14:14:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

when someone would bring this up. Politics plays a bigger role than many
of us care to consider.

  My own battlecruiser design study is geared almost exclusively to the
guerre du course. The design is not intended for the line--it's for deep
penetration missions away from resupply, where it will (it is devoutly
hoped) encounter only merchant and second-line military traffic. With
beam-3 and a pair of pulse torpedoes it's relatively well armed. Even
so, I probably ought to respecify the design to thrust-6 from the
original thrust-4. It has superior sensors (supposed to operate in pairs
and jump out if they run into any real opposition), but the higher
thrust rating would let it run down wallowing merchies (and show a clean
pair of heels to local defense forces) more readily.

  Best,
  Ken

Richard Bell <rlbell.nsuid@gmail.com> wrote:
  On 12/26/06, John Atkinson wrote:

> Most of the modern warships (Spruance, Arleigh Burke, Ticonoderoga)
> are more or less the same size as each other regardless of designation
> as frigate, destroyer, or cruiser, and all are about the size of the
> WWII cruisers. Or so it seemed to me.

This was actually a political thing. The reason that the Spruances
are destroyers and the Tico's are cruisers is that the law that
mandated all USN vessels, cruisers and up, be nuclear powered was
still in force for the Spruances, but had been repealed when the
Ticonderoga was on the slip. Had the law still been in effect, the
Spruances would have been ASW DD's, and the Tico's would have been AAW
DD's. Without the law, they might both have been cruisers.

As cruisers once werewere vessels capable of independent action, in an
age of powerful air and submarine threat, the Kirov CGN's may be the
last/only cruisers.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Auxiliary craft for starships Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers