Prev: Re: GZG players wanted (was: Re: [GZG] RE: Blue Sky Thinking) Next: Re: [GZG] Point Systems

Re: [GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules)

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 22:35:28 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules)

On 11/3/06, Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@ptd.net> wrote:

> First basing. I'm cool with any base size between 1" by 1" and the FOW
> base sizes. Some people like Stuart Murray use old GZG figs and Peter
> Pig which are "true 15's and they fit just fine on a 25mm x 25mm base,
> IMHO the current GZG minis fit better on a 30 x 30mm base (for a 3 to
4
> man team) By way of information, the
> FOW small bases are 32mm x 25mm and their medium bases are 50mm x
32mm.
> I think it's a matter of personal taste and the rules should be
flexible
> on this point.

I did a quick check of other rules I have to see how they handle base
sizes.

There aren't many games in the scale proposed for
SG3/SG:AC/G-Cav/whatever it ends up being called. That is, most sci-fi
games are either individual figure bases, or they are 6mm.

The old Striker rules suggests that figures should be on bases 1" by
1". That's all I have in my collection that comes close to SG3.

I checked Crossfire, Bases in Crossfire are 1.25" by 1.25", which
translates to Mark's 30mm by 30mm suggestion.

Out of curiousity, I checked Piquet's base sizes. They are 1.5" by
0.75" for infantry squads. Call it 40mm by 20mm.

Unless there is a game reason for squads to be wider than they are
deep, I'd go with a square base for infantry. 30mm by 30mm works for
me for 15mm. You can scale it down to 20mm by 20mm for 10mm figures,
or 15mm by 15mm for 6mm figures and 50mm by 50mm (call it 2 inches
square) for 25mm through 30mm figures.

Allan

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: GZG players wanted (was: Re: [GZG] RE: Blue Sky Thinking) Next: Re: [GZG] Point Systems