Prev: Re: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted) Next: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

From: "Jaime Tiampo" <fugugaipan@s...>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:29:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

Holla,

I have to echo Martin's sentiment here. It's part of the reason I was
working on web stuff for Jon (until real life intervened and now my web
server is undergoing refit). We all want Jon to succeed since he
produces
the stuff we want to buy, and we all want to see new "official" rules to
help get more people into the games and to satisfy our own needs.

As a former editor/web developer/writer and an advent gamer, I'd also be
willing to donate a certain amount of time to help in getting these
projects done, as I'm sure just about everyone here who already isn't
helping as part of the playtest group.

I have to agree that I think a move towards an electronic publication
stream is the way to go. Faster product production, cheaper initial
overhead, easier dissemination in this day and age.

Blue Sky Thinking of course.

Jaime

> Some basic facts as I see them:
> 1. There is a lot of cool stuff in various forms of completion in the
> pipeline: FMAS, DS3, FT3, BDS
> 2. Jon makes his money selling miniatures, not rules
> 3. Jon retains control of his games by doing the writing
> 4. Jon has zero time to write because he likes to make a living
> I see these as incompatible. New GZG rule production is too slow to
appear
> serious and viable to many customers (at least among the folks I try
> draw into them). Right now, I honestly do not believe I will see FMAS
> released before the end of the decade. 2008 if I was incredibly
> optimistic. 12 years plus of development? And with SG3 we're talking
about
> a company level game to promote more 15mm sales NOW. If it's developed
> twice as fast as an optimistic FMAS, it will not be released until
2012.
> We're all closer to Jon and GZG than the average gamer thanks to this
> list. We're tolerant and when the question comes up "when will XXXX be
> released" we all know to shout "WHEN IT'S DONE!". IMHO, that works
when
> your business is a hobby, but it's not going to help GZG grow to the
next
> business level. That's not going to get GZG big enough to help sustain
Jon