Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? organic tech Next: RE: [GZG]Re:FullThrustPlaytest?Plasmabolts [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? Plama bolts

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:06:46 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? Plama bolts

I've played with lots of custom designs with plasma bolts, and I only
really
ever came up with one good use for PBL-1's, which was to use them on
low-maneuverability superships as area defense against salvo missiles in

case they didn't have enough banzai jammers and/or point defenses to
avoid
being annihilated.  Usually the superships had a few token banzai
jammers
anyway, but they had the PBL-1's as a final defense against missiles
anyway.
Taking a d6 or	two of damage that might not even go through their
screens
was a lot better than getting pegged by 50 salvoes of missiles.

Other than that, I never saw the point in spreading plasma around.  It
was
almost always better, in my experience, to take an educated guess as to
where your enemy was going to be and focus the bulk of it on a
particular
point in space.  Granted, this wouldn't necessarily work against enemies

that had ADV-6 drives going at fraction-C speeds, but the tables I
usually
played on didn't usually have enough space that you couldn't guess, and
somewhere between plasma bolts and fighter strikes the hyperspeed
enemies
usually got hunted down eventually.