Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] [Stargrunt] Wanted Next: Re: [GZG] [GZG-FT] Beta Fighters was Re: Full Thrust Playtest? (Simon White)

Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? (Simon White)

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@r...>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:33:15 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? (Simon White)

Simon White wrote:

 >Hi, I'm a closet reader - thought I'd finally make a post.

 >Importantly though, we're including and testing some/all of the newish

rules we >can find:

 >>> Right now the latest stuff being concentrated on is fighters.
 >>>
 >>> Mk
 >
 >http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/200403/msg00286.html - these are a set
of
new >fighter rules, and they're brilliant. Honestly, they fix fighters
completely >(in our opinion), they're no longer uber powerful on their
own,
but they still >hurt if they get too close.

Glad to hear you like them :-)

 >If there is a more recent version of 3rd ed fighter rules can someone
tell
 >me... but any back step from these would be a shame.

The beta-test rules you've used have not been further developed since
they
were posted (at least not that I know of), apart from a "condensed"
version
where all the commentary and repetitions have been cleared away. (Cue LL

with an URL..?).

The "pre-alpha" status FT3 fighter rules we're testing now are based on
the
same core concept as the beta-test ones (allowing anti-ship weapons some

ability to engage fighters), but with less book-keeping and complexity.
Like Jon T. wrote however those newer rules aren't complete enough for
public release yet.

 >Other systems:
 >
 >Grasers - no problems from our group, does however tend to indicate
shields as
 >a better option than armour, the new Long Range PTL should counter
that.

<g> FWIW one of the reasons for introducing Grasers and EMPs was to give

players reasons to start using screens again, after the several new or
updated screen-skipping weapons described in the Fleet Books (K-guns,
P-torps, Salvo Missiles etc.) caused many players to dump screens
entirely
in favour of armour <g>

***
Mk Kochte wrote:

 >>>Even general comments on playarea in MU's, shape of playarea,
speeds,
and the
 >>>like help.

These data are *very* important, because how well different weapons and
tactics work in the game varies greatly depending on what size your
gaming
area is and how fast you fly. For example, if your gaming table is only
~50mu wide the various range-24 weapons (B2s, Pulser-M etc.) gain power
simply because the enemy can't easily keep out of their range, whereas
on a
gaming table 80-100mu wide longer-ranged weapons grow more powerful.

oerjan.ariander@rixmail.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry