Prev: RE: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO& Next: RE: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO&E [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]

RE: [GZG] 'Realistic' Mercenary TO&

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 01:29:43 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE: [GZG] 'Realistic' Mercenary TO&

Depends on the cost of space travel and vehicles in the setting.
If they can afford some outdated freighters and some assault shuttles,
they're in business (though they have to cover fuel, supplies, and
maintenance!).

Otherwise, if commercial freightliners/transports are available, they
can buy passage.  Of course, that doesn't get them in a hot LZ.

Finally, the employer could arrange shipping, though if they could
afford the ships, maybe they don't really need to hire mercs. ;)

John

> One thing that hasn't been addressed in this thread is how such merc
> units would get from planet to planet and travel between systems?  I
am
> assuming that the lesser units would be reliant on their employers for
> space transport.  But how reasonable is it to assume that a mercenary
unit
> would be able to assemble its own transportation?  I may be trying to
> apply to much realism to a sci-fi setting but having a good sense of
what
> is reasonable helps me bend the limits.

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: RE: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO& Next: RE: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO&E [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]