Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:18:51 +0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

On 9/28/06, J L Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So you could say that well equipped NAC, NSL, and IJF professionals
have nomex
> skivvies, but the ESU doesn't waste funds on such frivolities for
their
> conscript hordes.

You know, I'm eventually going to write my entire rant on the extreme
unlikelyhood of 'conscript hordes' in a war where your expeditionary
forces have to be transported by spacecraft.  Unless your space fleet
is the size of America's merchant marine in WWII, your naval dominance
is as pronounced as the USN/RN dominance in the Atlantic by 1944, your
travel time is as short as an ocean-crossing in the 1940s, you can't
project a force the size of the US's in WWII in Europe.  And even that
was tiny compared to the Soviets or Germans.  Rember, the US had
something like 90 divisions and fought two wars with them, compared
the Russians who raised in the neighborhood of 400 or so, or the
Germans who also had hundreds.

Think of the Falklands.  Even if the UK had WANTED to send a 'horde',
the logistical tail was such that it was at the outer edge of their
capability to send a pair of reinforced light infantry brigades and a
company of light armor.

Given that sort of limit, you better put everything your nation has
into building expeditionary forces that give you the most capability
for the smallest tonnage of spacelift capacity, because money is no
object compared to the number of starship hulls you can dedicate to
any one fleet.

You really want a spiel, ask me about the likelyhood of conflict
between two independantly planted colonies on the same planet.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?