Prev: Re: [GZG] [DS] New Dirtside miniatures from July Next: Re: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG] NSL Geopolitical Composition

RE: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG] NSL Geopolitical Composition

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:14:43 +1000
Subject: RE: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG] NSL Geopolitical Composition

G'day,

> Do you have any references on this?  If the carrier C.O. was angry it
means
> somebody underestimated the AU forces.

Got family in the service, but its fairly well known. Wiki has a brief
mention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins_class_submarine) and it
was openly discussed in the Aussie doco "Submariners" where the sub
Rankin was trying to repeat the feat but was forced to stay topside and
shadowed by US helicopters from before the exercise whistle was blown to
mark the start - the US wasn't keen on being caught again it seems so
stacked the deck.... we can only hope any future enemy will be as
compliant as the Aussies playing enemy...

The Aussies still got away in the end and tagged a US warship, I'm
pretty sure it was their official target the USN destroyer O'Kane,
though the captain was dying for a shot at the carrier too ;)

> I like to see U.S. forces get slammed in training scenarios
> when they are overconfident.	Makes them
> think should a real situation arrives.

I hope so, because there are plenty of cases when the Aussies have been
playing enemy and the US has called for a do-over as we were supposedly
not playing fair (like attacking as amphibious assaults landed,
attacking at night, attacking from the flank, using tanks etc etc) - the
list of "do's and don't" Aussie troops playing enemy are given can be
length and amusing (one NCO I know was asked not to make scary
crocodile-like noises when patrolling near the US bases at night).

Cheers

Beth