Prev: digest version Re: Emergency backup listserver active Next: RE: Emergency backup listserver active

Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:57:07 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

 To make thresholds less predictable:

	At the end of any turn where a ship takes a hull hit, check to
see if
	it takes a threshold check.

	If the current hull row is destroyed, take the threshold
automatically
	as per the current rules.  If not, then roll one die as follows:

	  If the current hull row is less than or equal to 1/3 damage,
then
	  take a threshold check if roll 6 on the die.

	  If the current hull row is more than 1/3 damaged but less than
or
	  equal to 2/3's damaged, then take a threshold check if you
roll
	  5 or 6 on the die.

	  If the current hull row is more than 2/3's damaged, take the
	  threshold check on a 3, 4, 5, 6 on the die.

	Only one actual threshold check per row.  If damage for the turn

	finishes one row and starts a another.	Roll for the next row as

	above.	This may cause a second or more threshold check.

  It would make those easily ignored hits potentially much more painful
and
  unpredictable.  This probably enhances the value of shields and any
other
  system that prevents hull hits.  Of course, that one point that leaks
through
  might kill you.  Rerolls become very important.

  Grant