Prev: RE: Emergency backup listserver active Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

RE: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

From: "McCarthy, Tom \(xwave\)" <Tom.McCarthy@x...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:11:29 -0400
Subject: RE: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

I like to distinguish between critical hits and steady attrition of a
unit's strengths.

In Silent Death, for example, many boxes on the damage track are marked
to show a particular system being degraded or destroyed.  A few squares
directed you to a table with results ranging from a momentary movement
penalty to instant annihilation.  The former were simple attrition, the
latter were true critical hits.

In FT, checking systems at the end of a row of hull boxes is a simple
mechanism for attrition of systems.  The core systems (and striking the
colours) are, for all intents and purposes, the critical hits in the
game.