Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Beam5 Question Next: [GZG] re: Hi everybody

Re: [GZG] FT Beam5 Question

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:03:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Beam5 Question

Several years ago, pre FT-Java, I played in a vector Bring Your Own
Fleet PBeM game with custom ships. I can't remember the NPV value,
but it may have been on the order of 3000. I designed my ships around
Beam-6's. If I recall correctly, I had a total of 14 B-6's in the
fleet, with two ships loaded with PDS+ADFC. No other fleet got close
enough to me to even fire, much less do damage. I don't think I let
any ships get within 48 MU of me.

While I enjoyed it, it was, in hindsight, most definitely an
exploitation of the rules, and probably an abuse of the spirit of the
game. The only fleet that arguably could have nailed me would have
been a soap-bubble carrier fleet with a fighter swarm that could have
overwhelmed my PDS (certainly do-able with my weapon/defense
distribution), in rock-paper-scissors fashion.

If the field is big enough that opponents have a chance to maneuver
outside your weapon envelope, then you can still have balanced
cinematic games reasonably easily - though you will likely see
obscene speeds as opponents try to jump through the range bands in
which they can't fire on you but you can fire on them. I would not
play vector against a beam-5 fleet with any Fleet-book standard ships
smaller than battlecruisers (and at that, I'd want to be sure my
ships had at superior thrust). Or unless I had a Beam-6 fleet.

---

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Beam5 Question Next: [GZG] re: Hi everybody