Prev: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: [GZG] FMARPS

Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@p...>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:42:23 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Allan Goodall wrote:

>On 4/21/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
><gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>

>>Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:29:59 -0400
>>From: "Roger Books" <roger.books@gmail.com>
>>

>>I think I may work from it.  Last night I was looking through an RPG I
had
>>written several years ago and realized why this has a problem, the
same
>>problem my RPG has.  It's a set of mechanics that are slightly more
>>detailed wargaming rules.  It doesn't have anything to encourage
>>roleplaying.
>>

>Unless you want to retain the feel of GZG miniature games (i.e. a
>variant of the FMA system), your best bet is to take an "off the
>shelf" RPG and graft the Tuffleyverse background onto it.
>
>This approach has several advantages. One is that you don't have to
>invent the game mechanics. Another is that it allows you to
>concentrate on the Tuffleyverse and see if it's "deep" enough to
>support a roleplaying game. I suspect it is, but I also suspect you'll
>end up having to invent a lot of stuff as you go along since an RPG is
>played at a different level of detail. For instance, what does the
>Tuffleyverse use for currency? How does health care work (i.e. can a
>NAC citizen just walk into an NSL hospital and expect to be treated
>for burns?)? What level of crime is there? Is there gun control? Is
>there poverty? Does a NAC colony feel pretty much the same as an ESU
>colony, except with different languages? Is the food on passenger
>starships delicious or barely edible? You get the picture...
>
>A proper Tuffleyverse roleplaying game could have dozens of
>supplements. It might be fun to set up a wiki to handle this, allowing
>people to contribute and play with the universe. It would probably be
>a lot easier to do as a wiki than to think of everything yourself.
>
>As for game systems, there are tons of them out there that could be
>adapted for a Tuffleyverse RPG. Some suggestions:
>
>- GURPS: The obvious choice for many, but a bit too crunchy for others.
>- Chaosium's BRP: Currently a little bit of a pain, as only the
>Ringworld books fit the time frame, but later this year they are
>releasing "Deluxe BRP" which will make it a completely generic game
>system.
>- genreDiversion: a "rules light" game, from Politically Incorrect
>Games. Very inexpensive. I picked up EarthAD (post apocalypse), Hunger
>(you play a zombie) and Coyote Trail (Westerns). Usually around $5 for
>an entire game system. Nice, clean system. Hard Nova II (their sci-fi
>game) is $4.95 for the basic game as a PDF, and $7.50 for the full
>set.
>- Eden Studio's Unisystem: mostly used for horror games, but All Flesh
>Must Be Eaten hits near future and does a reasonable job. Probably
>need extra rules for weapons, etc.
>- D20 Future (or Spycraft 2.0): Not your daddy's D&D, but it's still
> [...]
I'd suggest Traveller 2300AD for a near future RPG with a Tuffleyverse
feel to it. Game mechanics were okay, but the supplements were amazing
and you can still find them on the web and Ebay for mostly reasonable
prices. I regret selling mine a few years ago. Too bad there aren't any
Kafer minis...

-Mark

Prev: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: [GZG] FMARPS