Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: [FT] Alternate Tuffleyverse interpretations Next: Re: [FT] Alternate Tuffleyverse interpretations (Long?) was Re: [GZG] [FT] NAC campaign setup

Re: [FT]Stupid graphic tricks Re:[GZG] [FT] NAC campaign setup

From: Zoe and Carmen Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:34:21 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT]Stupid graphic tricks Re:[GZG] [FT] NAC campaign setup

laserlight@verizon.net wrote:
>>From: Zoe and Carmen Brain
>>"the OU claims all the useless M type stars"
>>They *all* get visited by OU patrol vessels
>
> Nightvision class fast recon corvettes, often with "Imperial
University Astronomical Survey" painted on the side.

No, just the normal "Freemantle" class Patrol ships. The ones that you
can't tell whether they're fast but unarmed patrol vessels, cargo
carriers, or very tough ultra-light cruisers, as they can change their
configuration. And there's LOTS of them.

Of course, they do drop off "survey drones", "navigational beacons" and
the like, all of which have recording apparatus in. Most of which
advertise their position. Only comparatively few monitor the other
satellites with passive sensors, and look just like small chunks of
space debris. The problem with those is finding them again, even if you
know where to look.

Seriously, they do a lot of good science, very long baseline
(multiparsec) arrays and such. Late data, but knowing most/all FTL
transitions that happened within 60 LY 60 years ago is useful. It does
help when trying to find things like KV homeworlds - oops, did I just
say that? No good for tactical use, but good strategic recon.

It's interesting the various satellites that some powers have been
detected placing in out of the way places. Since the KV revealed
themselves, there's been a low-scale battle going on, the side that
placed first gets to detect where the other side placed their stealth
drones, and so on. Lots of examples of small-scale actions, ambushes and

the like.
Plenty of opportunities for battles involving 1-2 ships, asteroid belts
to hide the stealth birds in, trying to capture the other side's
technology...
I always try to make my PSB serve the game.

>>A naval base can be constructed, the OU hasn't got the resources to
interfere, but it won't be a secret.

> Well, we might con$ider keeping a $ecret. Not often, but in $pecial
ca$e$, it'$ $omething we'd at lea$t be willing to di$cu$$.

You might very well think that, I couldn't po$$ibly comment.
Well $potted. I'll have to be more $ubtle next time though.

Zoe