Prev: Re: [GZG] Sculpting was: Re: 15mm Phalon vehicle recommendations? Next: RE: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions

Re: [GZG] FT but off the wall and a little OT]

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@e...>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:15:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT but off the wall and a little OT]

>has space fighters that can be taken out with hand-operated weapons,

    I don't recall a single Imperial fighter being destroyed by a weapon

without a computer assisted targeting system.

> and a fighter-in-the-flying-bridge making a major warship crash into
another,

    We do see a fighter impact an ISD in ROTJ, but we can hardly assume
that the impact of a single fighter was the cause of the collision that
followed shortly thereafter.  The ISD had already taken tremendous
damage, enough to lose shields.  We even see the destruction of a sensor

array on screen.  So to name the cause as a single fighter craft impact
is simply ignoring so much else.

>I use PSB to justify limitations of rules;

    The discussion on the site isn't about rules or PSB.  It's about
analysis of what is seen on screen and extrapolating from there.  It's
not about explaining the inner workings of the technology, but taking a
careful look at what is present on screen and placing that information
within a certain context.
    Now, where this discussion could intersect a discussion on rules is
of great interest to me.  If one wants to run a game with the flavor of
a certain background, one must understand the parameters of the
background.

> every time somebody takes the PSB serious, and argues counter
examples, my eyes roll up into my head.

    Well, if you're GMing a capital ship scenario set in the ST
universe, ships should maneuver in wide sweeping arcs and gain some
benefit from flying in formation, range should matter, and shields
should be of supreme importance.  If they're not, I'm going to roll my
eyes and walk away from the game.  Similarly, in a game set in the SW
universe, capital ships shouldn't have to bother with maneuver, range
shouldn't matter much, and target selection should be of supreme
importance.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

"Musical compositions, it should be remembered, do not inhabit
 certain countries, certain museums, like paintings and statues.
 The Mozart Quintet is not shut up in Salzburg: I have it in my pocket."
	-Henri Rabaud

Prev: Re: [GZG] Sculpting was: Re: 15mm Phalon vehicle recommendations? Next: RE: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions