Prev: Re: [GZG] A Heavy Missile Question Next: [GZG] FT sort of but a little over the top and OT

Re: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 23:56:10 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions

Allan Goodall wrote:

> >My vote would be for replacing *all* the SG2 heavy weapons to-hit
rules
> >with the corresponding DS mechanics, but the way you phrased your
previous
> >questions kinda excluded that option...
>
>Do you mean to use the DS2 mechanics, or the suggested DS3 mechanics?
So,
>should I look at the DS2 mechanics as written, or those found in DS3?

Well, I wrote the DS3 draft because I wasn't fully satisfied with DS2 so
of
course I'd recommend the DS3 to-hit rules to those who have a copy of
the
draft (eg. you, Allan); but I'd take either DS to-hit mechanic over the
current SG2 heavy weapons to-hit rule. I really *really* don't like the
way
SG2 handles the interaction between heavy weapon ranges and target
signatures :-(

>If the former, do you recommend using chits or converting it to
>dice (which would be my preference).

For armour penetration once a hit has been scored, you mean? (Above I
was
only talking about the *to-hit* mechanics, ie. how to score the hit in
the
first place.) Just treat all heavy weapons hits against point targets as

"major hits" and use the SG2 armour penetration rule as written - that's

essentially what DS3 does already anyway <g>

(OK, it was more a case of converging evolution than a straight
borrowing
from SG2, but the end results are nevertheless very similar.)

>I have no objections to converting the SG heavy weapon mechanics to
>those of DS,

<g> OK. In some of our previous discussions you were a bit more reserved

about straying too far from the SG2 core :-)

> >As long as the smoke doesn't blow back towards the launching
vehicle...

>I wonder if there will ever be a way to create smoke that can be
>penetrated by one side but not another. Perhaps some kind of molecule
>that scatters light unless polarized properly, and all a vehicle would
>need to do to polarize the molecules is emit some sort of electrical
>signal.

I'd call such a system a "cloaking field" rather than a "smoke screen"
:-/
Let's hope that the enemy can't emit the proper polarizing signal
though...!

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] A Heavy Missile Question Next: [GZG] FT sort of but a little over the top and OT