Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

RE: [GZG] DSIII q

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:55:32 +0100
Subject: RE: [GZG] DSIII q

Beth wrote:

> >- Similarly DS*2* players might spend the first 3-4 turns jockeying
for
> >position (or simply moving into weapons range of the enemy!), but so
far
> >most DS3 games played have been fought to a conclusion in 3 game
turns or
> >less. The 2nd DS3 game at the recent ECC was finished in less than
*1* full
> >game turn - the defenders' morale collapsed before all the attacking
units
> >had had a chance to activate even once...
>
>Obviously we don't know for sure yet what future warfare will be like,
>but based on current trends is this a fair reflection of how long a
>future tank battle would last (short sharp 15 minutes rather than
>slogging for days)?

Once the opposing units are within LoS and start shooting, 15 minutes is
an
eternity. Most "day-long slogs" in the past have consisted of a number
of
separate encounters between individual sub-units as they manoeuvred
against
one another (*) rather than the entire force spending the entire day
actively shooting at the enemy. While the means by which units locate,
move
towards and shoot at the enemy will inevitably change in the future, I
doubt if the ratio between time spent locating/moving and time spent
actually shooting will change very much.

(*) "Manoeuvre" is quite often a euphemism for ""grope around trying to
find the enemy so you can shoot at him"...

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q