Prev: Re: [GZG] Fleet Scale Snub Fighters Next: RE: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:11:25 +0100
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Laserlight wrote:

> >The 2nd DS3 game at the recent ECC was finished in less than *1* full

> game turn - the >defenders' morale collapsed before all the attacking
> units had had a chance to activate >even once...
>
>Which seems a bit odd.  I'd rather have a game which usually goes 4-6
>turns, I think, and perhaps shorter turns, although I confess I don't
know
>how I'd do that.

to which TomB added:

>I'm with Laserlight on this one. At the pace of modern armour
engagements,
>2-3 minutes per turn would seem more sensible to me.

As John already posted, the actual shooting parts of a DS3 battle are
resolved in tactical combat rounds of 20 seconds each (including
movement).
The 15-minute turns handle movement outside actual combat as well as
more
time-consuming actions (eg. reorganizing or rallying units, preparing
demolitions, picking up casualties, minor repairs to vehicles etc).

A game turn of 2-3 minutes is (obviously) shorter than a 15-minute turn,

but it is still much too long for resolving combat without subdivisions
-
even the 20-second tactical combat rounds is stretching it for tank
combat,
but we had to compromize a bit to make infantry work too. At the same
time
a 2-3 minute game turn is too short to allow the more time-consuming
actions to be resolved within a single turn.

***
Laserlight again:

>Which reminds me, on Friday night at ECC we had a unit in Company B
break,
>and the morale penalty was applied to the whole force (ie company A and

>the HQ platoon). Is that the way we should have done it, or should it
only
>have applied to Co B units?

It should only have applied to Co B units.

***
Back to TomB:

>The other nice thing about contemplating a 2 minute turn is this: 5-7
>turns would fit with
>one notional FT turn but at 2 minutes a turn, you'd be fairly close to
>stargrunt time
>scale. So you could do 1:1 crossover games.

An SG2 turn is nominally 5 minutes, so with a 2.5-minute DS3 turn you'd
get
2:1 crossover games instead of the current 1:3 cross-overs... and Full
Thrust game turns can represent anything from a little over a minute to
upwards of 20 minutes depending on who you ask :-/ (FWIW the FT time and

distance scales I prefer are 1 turn = 100 seconds, 1 mu = 100 km, 1
thrust
= 10 m/s^2)...

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Fleet Scale Snub Fighters Next: RE: [GZG] DSIII q