Prev: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:38:22 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Hi All,

Comments below.

>> Hm. If the defenders started this firefight, Grant's units could only
have
>> fired at the defenders' Command Unit if the Command Unit had first
fired at
>> them - ie., either it was the Command Unit that started this final
>> FireFight or it voluntarily joined the FireFight in the second or
later
>> TCR. The only way for Grant to engage the defenders' Command Unit
against
>> the defenders' will is if *he* started a FireFight against *it*, but
that
>> doesn't seem to have been the case here.
>>

>   Hmm, I wondered about that in the game and asked John about it, and
he said
> it was ok.  I suspected we might be doing it wrong and that appears to
be the
> case.  That changes things a bit.

Hey, I've been known to make mistakes before! :D  Looks like this time
too.  Grants heavy had CLEAR LoS/LoF to the Order command vehicle, but
it
was not involved in the firefight.  I tend to forget that you can't, as
the attacker, bring in new defense targets just because you have clear
LoS.  Definitely my bad.

>   I had K'hiff grav tanks that could move 72" in one mode and 3" (I
think) in
> combat moves.  The defenders didn't have LOS to much of the board, so
I moved
> about 30 - 35" before they began firing on me.  After I slipped out of
the
> firefight with two damaged tanks (1/2 move) I could move another 15"
with my
> activation (accounting for the 1/2 move) and I did.  Later on they
fired on me
> again and that started the rolling firefight.  My two damaged tanks
crawled
> forward, but the undamaged tank could reach an elevated postion
without losing
> unit integrity that allowed it to see down into the infantry position
that had
> fired into me and subsequently gone to ground.  At that point, I could
keep
> firing at them doing no damage (it was very unlikely), but maintaining
the
> firefight while the damaged tanks crawled forward overrunning my
opponent.

>   We had something similiar with infantry and tanks fighting on the
flank, and
> it also lasted quite a while (with similiar results).  It may be that
infantry
> versus tanks can result in long firefights with few results, and this
is where
> the length of the firefight should be restricted to keep a con game
moving.
> I'm thinking that a firefight where one side is firing and the other
is not
> may not be all *that* hard to create, and the length of that kind of
firefight
> should be held down.

The infantry should have taken cover if they were not able to fire back.

I mean, if I was there and being shot at and I couldn't effectively fire

back, I'd take cover...

I didn't force the issue in the game, mostly due to lack of sleep.
Yeah,
that's it. :)

>   I should also say that our local group almost always plays with more
than
> one player per side.	It's very very rare for us to play a head to
head game.
> The social aspect of it is a big deal to most people of my
acquaintance.  I
> would not like to see DSIII end up being optimized for head to head
play even
> accidentally.  I'm thinking that a cap on firefight length and rules
for
> cross turn "continuing" firefights would be a good option for people
who do
> more gaming in groups.  I think the current system would be fine for
smaller
> groups and head to head gaming.

Sadly, my group is fairly small.  We generally have either 2 or 3
players,
with no known prospects to add more.  When I go visit Indy we tend to
have
more.  I would think that if you have a larger group, and larger forces,

if the command elements activate a simultaneous assault on multiple
fronts
(e.g., at least 1 unit per player, likely more), then each group could
be
resolving their firefights simultaneously.

So,

     Player A	 ------->  Enemy A
     Player B	 ------->  Enemy B
     Player C	 ------->  Enemy C

(which never works out that cleanly, but you get the idea)

As long as there is little crossover between the firefights (player A
has
no contact with enemy B, for example), each firefight can be concluded
beofre there is another activation.  Things could get trickier if
Players
A and B ganged up on Enemy A, and left Enemy B out of it, that kind of
thing would happen in DSII as well.

<shrug>

John

Prev: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] DSIII q