Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] OUDF fleet packs? Next: [GZG] GZG ECC IX: Quote Board 2006

Re: [GZG] [SG2] Terrain layout

From: Adrian <adrian@s...>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:56:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG2] Terrain layout

>When you're setting up a SG game--say a pickup game on a 4x6
>table-- what's your rule of thumb for setting up terrain?
>How much hard cover, soft cover, and items that block LOS
>(hills, woods)?

You've played on tables that I've set up so you have some idea of the
density I prefer.  Given the game scale vs. figure scale differences, I
tend toward more terrain than less.  I don't want "long range rifle
duel"
to become the battle - dice, dice, and more dice.  I prefer enough
terrain
so that the players are forced to maneuver.  On the other hand, as was
pointed out, you don't want SO much terrain that fights only happen in
range band 1 or by close assault.  That may be fine, however, if you're
doing an urban setting...

Also, a mix of terrain is good - it provides tactical challenge for the
players.  I often include buildings, forest, hills, rivers.  Partly that
is
because that's the terrain I have ready to go - I'm going to do roads
eventually, and working on ways to do good looking agricultural land.

Desert terrain is a bit more of a challenge - you tend to get much
longer
sight lines, so need careful scenario design or everyone dies really
fast.

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] OUDF fleet packs? Next: [GZG] GZG ECC IX: Quote Board 2006