Prev: Re: [GZG] virus? Next: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 15

Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:37:54 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

John Tailby wrote:
>I don't agree with your point about short range ships being able to
>close the range. If the longer range ships only pack on front ark
>weapons and the way you play has to two fleets line up and charge at
>the enemy (We have some players that like to do this) you get a very
>"fighter pilot" style game. That works until someone designs their
>escorts with 4 beam 2s in all arc turrets. On a rolling table
>(unlimited space to play on) 2 ships of equal thrust can maintain a
>range band of 6" quite easily. The shorter ranges ship then has to
>rush at the enemy ship that than turns away and then keeps shooting
>over their shoulder for a number of turns. If the Grazer ship breaks
>off or slows down the longer ranged ship can again turn in to close
>the range to the edge of the envelope.

Doesn't work if you're (standard) ESU or NSL light ships
against UNSC.

Or if your ships are guarding a space station, asteroid
mining installation, or navigation warp buoy.

Or if your ships are escorting slower merchants.

Or if your lights are supposed to be watching the flanks
and rear of a battleship squadron heading towards the
enemy.

... and so on.

Presumably the playtest group and/or keepers of the AARs
can produce some stats about what percentage of turns in
FT battles are spent at various range bands?

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: [GZG] virus? Next: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 15