Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]

Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:51:32 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

Hugh Fisher wrote:

 >A Full Thrust battle isn't a series of independent
 >statistical events. If one side inflicts above average
 >damage in a turn, the other sides may have thresholds
 >or destroyed ships which reduce their average damage
 >from then on, which makes it harder for them to catch
 >back up. It's the compound advantage effect, and like
 >compound interest it builds up faster as the gap
 >between the two sides increases.

This was described mathematically by F.W. Lanchester in 1916, and is the

basis for all accurate points systems. It doesn't just apply within a
single game turn, BTW: if one side inflicts damage in an earlier game
turn
while the other side does not, the side which inflicted damage earlier
also
starts building up a compound advantage. In most cases it is the side
with
the longer-ranged weapons which does this.

The compound advantage effect also works *against* the G1, since its
short
range often allows enemies with longer-ranged weapons to start building
their own compound advantage before the G1 can return fire - and when
this
happens, the G1 needs a lucky hit just to catch up. FWIW this is why
weapons grow bigger faster than their range increases, ie. to compensate

for the compound advantage they can gain by being able to open fire
earlier. To continue your "fast G1-armed DD" example, six fast DDs with
pair of 3-arc G1s each are very dangerous if they can get close enough
fire... but against most opponents I would expect one or two of them to
be
crippled by long-range fire before they ever get into G1 range and
another
couple or so knocked out after getting into G1 range but before they can

fire their own weapons.

However, if you are consistently able to close the range before the
enemy's
long-ranged weapons have built up any significant advantage then you
will
find the shorter-ranged weapons correspondingly more powerful since they

have little or no catching-up to do. Some FT gaming groups, eg. the
Canberra group, appear to be better at closing the range quickly than
others are - even other groups which play with the same or very similar
table sizes and initial velocities. Exactly how you do this I don't
know,
which is why I keep asking you guys for detailed AARs :-/

Anyway:

If you find the Graser too unpredictable, remove its rerolls and reduce
its
points cost to 3xMass to compensate; this curbs the most extreme results

but doesn't change the lower end of the performance range much. OK, one
of
your White Star cruisers could still vapourize an enemy battleship with
single salvo if it rolled 4 "6"s followed by 8 "5"s or "6"s, but without

the rerolls that's a ~1/8,000,000 chance or less rather than ~1:100.

Increasing the G1's Mass (or cost) without changing its damage mechanics
is
essentially the same as saying that you *must* score mega-hits to have a

chance to win the battle. Yes, the G1's average destructive potential is

similar to that of a P-torp as long as the target is unscreened and the
G1
is in range to fire - but the P-torp has a longer maximum range, better
hit
probability at range 12 and less, and ignores any screens the target
might
have (which gives it a better hit probability than the G1 at range 12-18
as
well if the target is screened). Similarly G1s that miss are no worse
off
than B2s that miss - but at most ranges the G1s miss far more often than

the same points value of B2s do simply because the G1s fire fewer to-hit
dice.

John Tailby's variant, reducing the damage to 1D3 per hit and halving
the
weapon Mass, reduces the unpredictability a bit but *increases* the
average
damage per weapon Mass by 14%.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]